113 - Coincidence


Canon 5DmkII, 16-35mm at 16mm, iso100, 1/15 sec at f/8.0, +CPL

According to Wikipedia, Coincidence is the noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious causal connection. The word is derived from the Latin co- ("in", "with", "together") and incidere ("to fall on"). In science the term is generally used in a more literal translation, e.g., referring to when two rays of light strike a surface at the same point at the same time. In this usage of coincidence, there is no implication that the alignment of events is surprising, noteworthy or non-causal.

I tend more to mystical teachings that insist on the view that there is absolutely no coincidence in the world. Everything that occurs can be related to a prior cause or association, no matter how vast or how minute and trivial. All is impacted by something related to it that is seen or unseen, cognized or unknowable.

This sunset had special meaning for me and I believe the universe set it to remind me; Number one, how blessed we are. Number two, There are connections that make all of this a lot of fun.

Yesterday with another photographer I was discussing photographing sunsets, I said "And don't ever rule out the east, things happen there that don't happen in any other direction." Well the image above, that I took the next evening (due east) is what I was talking about. This beautiful pattern of sun rays is called anticrepuscular rays. Coincidence???

The second image and don't get wrong I'm not a religious guy, speaks to how blessed we are. I've been to this location numerous times and I've never seen a Sister there. Sister Marisa has a beautiful smile and is very friendly. I asked her to pose for me and she graciously agreed. The anticrepuscular and crepuscular rays are also called God rays. Another darn coincidence...

Comments

Marka said…
Beautiful photographs! I really like the stories that go along with them as well. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
How very beautiful. I am awe struck by your first image. I also enjoyed your explanation of the converging rays. To think that I could have been there...

Karen
Thomas J Avery said…
Wow... I meant to comment on this a while back. Beautiful rays. The photo has a great simplicity. The strong visual impact blows me away.

The nun photo is a little scary. Do nuns always pop out from behind palm trees? It is just so unexpected and random. I'll have to be careful next time I'm around palm trees :-P

Popular posts from this blog

79 - Belief

111 - Effortless

90 - Peace